Symposium Presentation

Walter Benjamin noted that "...film furthers insight into the necessities governing our lives by its use of close-ups, by its accentuation of hidden details in familiar objects, and by its exploration of commonplace milieux through the ingenious guidance of the camera." My video and photo analysis attempts to capture these nuances, the details, the movement, the stasis of the art objects my participants studied. He added, "we have some idea what is involved in the act of walking, we have no idea at all what happens during the split second when a person actually takes a step....This is where the camera comes into play, with all its resources for swooping and rising, disrupting and isolating, stretching or compressing, a sequence, enlarging or reducing an object. It is through the camera that we first discover the optical unconscious." I offer a video/photo montage concentrating on how the public responds to public art and to one another in the participatory, democratic educational space created by these older works of art.

https://vimeo.com/65674875