Sharing Space with My Participants and Chicago's Public Art

In a series of 36 interviews, I analyzed how community members engaged with the democratic space surrounding over 54 historical works of art. My research also included interviews with high school and college educators, college students, museum curators and local corporate members. I encouraged the public to interact and interpret art dotting Chicago’s cityscape, asking them how they believe these public spaces may best be used as an effective, “critical” means of education.

I chose my research participants based upon my previous educational practices and continuing career objectives. Since I have taught and am interested in returning to higher education, I interviewed only those over the age of 18. In an effort to glean at least three responses for each two-block space contained within the walking tours, I occasionally interviewed people within buildings abutting public works of art. On these occasions, if a fee was required for entry, to adhere to my definition of “public,” I did not conduct an interview in that particular space. In an effort to obtain a fair representation of opinions, I interviewed 25 on-site participants and 11 on-line participants.