Lesson One: On Your Mark—Getting Started
(5 Components)

Outcome: Demonstrate knowledge about various media and techniques, both traditional and contemporary

• Mapping: “Who Am I?”  (10 minutes)
    • Literature: “I [paint, dance, draw, sculpt] entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means” Joan Didion (1976)

What Does it Mean?
Community-Based Art Appreciation Class
Photo by RJ Molyneux-Davis, 2012

• Brainstorming: Favorite Artists (10 minutes)
    • Literature: “The best subjects lie nearest at hand, and nearest the heart” Sheridan Baker (1982)
  • Freewriting: Assessing Prior Knowledge (10 minutes)
    • Literature: “The main thing about freewriting is that it is nonediting. It is an exercise in bringing together the process of producing…” Peter Elbow (1973)
  • What Kind of Learner am I? (5 minutes)
    • Literature: “Taking student characteristics into account can lead to an increased learning performance, greater enjoyment, enhanced motivation and reduced learning time” Kelly and Tagney (2006)
  • Exemplar (See Exemplar Images for complete discussion): Manet’s Gender Play in the Salon of 1865 (15 minutes)
    • Literature: “It has always been my ambition not to remain consistent, not to repeat tomorrow what I did yesterday, but to respond to a fresh vision and seek to make a new voice heard” Edouard Manet
  • Homework: Initial research of artist