Teaching Artist Pedagogy

My teaching philosophy is strongly connected with my artistic practice.  I always learn something from my teaching experiences and from working with students.  I believe teaching art, allows art to become an experimental field for both my students and myself.  Thus transforming art into a medium that increases our understanding of ourselves.  My own installations are artworks that function as alternative ways to perceive our everyday community.

I believe that each child is a transformative individual who needs a safe, supportive, open and stimulating atmosphere within the education system in which to develop.  Facilitating quality education for students requires teaching with Big Ideas that connect to the lives of my students; exposing them to art that reaches outside the classroom walls, enabling change within communities.

It is imperative to encourage each student to uncover the artist from within that he or she already is.  Being an artist is more than being able to depict perfect pictorial compositions.  By scaffolding technical abilities through lessons of Big Ideas my students will feel successful in applying artistic abilities in unique solutions.

Equally important to self-discovery is having the opportunity to study material that is meaningful and relevant.  To do this, I develop curriculum that involves student interest, fosters intrinsic motivation and makes learning relevant to life; I encourage my students to incorporate their lives within their art making.   I will incorporate social justice issues, integrated units, group work, individual work, and hands-on learning in order to make my students active learners. 

...In our competitive society it is critical for students to not only receive a solid education, but to work with someone who is aware of and sensitive to their individual learning styles and needs.  By getting to know my students both academically and personally, I will be better prepared to meet their individual needs.  By continually learning and reflecting, I strive to be the best educator that I can be.