I believe studying how words move through language is integral to writing about the progression of human relationships. The way words move in a sentence changes when you become cognizant of their past; not unlike the way one’s perspective of a person changes once their context is revealed. Relationships are multifaceted and complex, and in the cycle of their growth, almost always bring about adventure. Adventure—something I think everyone longs for—develops, changes, and catalyzes the human experience. In my work I desire to capture and illumine adventure, relationships, and the way language interplays with both.

In literature, I see love as the protagonist and failure to love as the antagonist. My primary interest in relationships is in looking at the ways that love and failed love can manifest between people. As I’m maturing as a person and learning in the relationships I am blessed with, I continue to see new and wonderful forms of love manifesting in my life. I can also recognize the brokenness of these relationships, and I am learning how careful attention and open trust can overcome these obstacles, and how love can restore the often painful side effects of interacting with others. In this process I wonder about the origin of people and question why they move the way they do, why they talk with particular patterns of speech. I want to know how they were shaped, how they were damaged, and how they may have come to be healed.

I have found great inspiration from looking at figures from the Bible, and often study the plot twists and characters for my own work. It is a book full of flawed people who continually make mistakes, but whose mistakes are essential to their story. When I read and write about these relationships, I am constantly inspired by the reciprocal and restorative relationship I have with the Lord. I find myself always questioning and exploring the mysteries, paradoxes, and power of God’s love for humanity in my work.

At SAIC I am challenging myself to think deeper about my own process and style of writing. I am exposing myself to the rigors of both academic and studio courses. My mindset, way of thinking, and writing process has changed drastically in the past two years as my skills have become more interdisciplinary. As I continue to grow here, so will the influence of my work.